Saturday, February 6, 2016

Italian Mosaic Depicting a Norman Warrior



"Mosaic from the destroyed Santa Maria Maggiore Basillica in Vercelli. Italy 11th-12th century"

I found this picture very interesting because I am currently working on a script for a short film about the Norman conquest of southern Italy, specifically the Battle of Civitate.

The fellow on the left looks very much to me like a Norman, due to his kite shield and shirt style. His shoes look like the "Viking" boots similar to the ones found in Yorvik, and his sword and facial hair also seem to lend themselves to the Norman persuasion, though I do not count that as strong evidence. The period that the mosaic is dated to falls into the same time as the Norman activity. They originally came to help fight Saracens, so perhaps that is his opponent to the right.

The depiction of the fighting I do find interesting, however, as it seems that the "Norman" is using his long shield to jam up both of his opponents weapons. With his sword in a high guard, he seems poised to either deliver a fatal thrust to his enemies face or sweep low for his exposed leg.

I also find interest in the concept of kite shield vs round shield. Perhaps this indicates a transitional period of shield use between the two types. Or perhaps the kite shield is truly indicative of his Norman identity.

In any event, I have definitely found this image useful as I work on designing the costume pieces for my film.

No comments:

Post a Comment