Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Modified Cold Steel Viking Axe






To modify the Cold Steel Viking Ax, I soaked the tomahawk head in vinegar for several hours so that it developed a darker patina.  The hickory was stained with some birch oil that I rendered myself so that it took on that darker color. The grooves I also cut into the handle to provide better traction.
The original look of the head and handle.
Viking sword that inspired the "X" pattern on the axe handle.
Carved antlers from the Yorkshire museum.

I used a round file to cut the pattern onto the handle. 

Buy one here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/548210678/modified-cold-steel-viking-hand-ax-w?ref=shop_home_active_9

3 comments:

  1. How did you get the vinegar to be so red?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched your video about the spears but I'm unsure if the deep red is scale or rust from the spearheads or is it a chemical additive? Great videos!

    ReplyDelete