Wednesday, March 4, 2015

"Satire of a Nobleman in Misery" (18th century oil painting)

This is an Italian painting from the early 1700's that I found interesting because it reminded me of the Spanish film Alatriste (2006).  The movie was an adaptation of Spanish series of novels by Arturo Perez-Reverte, and both works have a lot of sword-fights, knife-fights, etc, so check them out if you're into that type of thing.  Many wide shots from the movie were lit with a single, soft light source such as the sun coming through a window, and I always thought many of these shots looked like paintings.  When I found this period painting that featured the same lighting style, in addition to the drab setting, tattered clothing, and fierce mustache, I couldn't help but think of Diego Alatriste. 

The painting is on display at the Detroit Institute of Arts.
Viggo Mortensen as "Captain Alatriste"





No comments:

Post a Comment